We all know that Hollywood actors fold impressive amounts of money for the movies they film, but what many people don’t realize is that male and female actors are not paid equally. While male stars are constantly cashing in more money for the same roles, it disrupts the workflow and only widens the gender pay gap.
Thankfully, a number of A-list female actresses have stood up against this injustice and decided to fight back.
Women are finally starting to raise their voices and try to get heard by the world and people running the industry.
Check out some of the most prominent stories that illustrate how even the movie industry is not immune to the gender gap, and feel free to share your thoughts about the manner in the comment section.
1. Angelina Jolie made half of what Brad Pitt made for ‘Mr. and Mrs. Smith’
While Brad Pitt made $20 million for the blockbuster movie, Angelina Jolie only made half of that.
2. Grey’s Anatomy star Ellen Pompeo was denied higher pay than Patrick Dempsey
While Ellen Pompeo, aka Meredith Grey, was the highest-paid TV actress at one point, she was denied a higher salary than her male co-star Patrick Dempsey.
3. Natalie Portman was paid three times less than Ashton Kutcher for ‘No Strings Attached’
Natalie Portman revealed that she was paid three times less than Kutcher for the movie.
4. Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams only received 7 percent of the profits from American Hustle, while male co-stars Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and Jeremy Renner received 9 percent
5. Jessica Chastain only made a quarter of what Matt Damon made for ‘The Martian’
While Matt Damon made somewhere between $15 and $25 million for ‘The Martian’, Jessica Chastain only earned $1.75 million.
6. Gillian Anderson was offered half of what David Duchovny was going to make for the new ‘X-Files’
Although Anderson is now getting the same as her male co-star for the new ‘X-Files’, she was initially offered half of what her male co-star was making.